We Got Work to Do
Inspire your community and work together as a group with the embodied learning, music and movement of WE GOT WORK TO DO: Anti Racism Mini Course. Learn alongside Alphabet Rockers co-founders Kaitlin McGaw and Tommy Soulati Shepherd, Choreographer Samara Atkins, and tween Youth Rockers Lillian Ellis, Kali de Jesus, Tommy Shepherd III and Maya Fleming guiding users through exercises and prompts that:
- empower young people to be proud of their identities;
- model advocacy and intersectionality;
- challenge oppressive language and bias;
- give adults starting points for challenging topics with children; and
- create a common language and culture of understanding
Empowering” and “Woke" to social justice."
The GRAMMYS wokest act..."
-The Los Angeles Times
WE GOT WORK TO DO Anti Racism Mini Course is a dynamic learning experience for K-5 aged children and families in a variety of group settings.
- FOR TEACHERS, CLASSROOMS, LEARNING PODS
Alphabet Rockers have been empowering young people in classroom settings for over a decade. Using WE GOT WORK TO DO Teacher/Facilitator guide as your roadmap, let the learning modules and curious minds do the work to build connection and create change. This Mini Course can be experienced individually with reflections done as a group, or experienced as a group with individual reflections.
- FOR CORPORATE PARTNERS & DEI STRATEGISTS
WE GOT WORK TO DO is a dynamic engagement tool for your employees to cultivate a workplace culture of inclusion and belonging. Our individual anti-racist work at home directly impacts how we show up in our workplace environments. This curriculum tool empowers your employees to both do this essential work at home with family. Learn directly from leaders creating cultures of anti-racism, and work as a team to build this culture at work.
- COMMUNITY LEADERS, AFFINITY GROUPS
We see you - working both within your home AND with your community groups. You are sparking anti-racism conversations, activating your community in solidarity, and building connections to break through biases. WE GOT WORK TO DO and our group guides are tools for you to do the work together. Whether it be your block, book club or synagogue, you can do this course together, reflecting a culture of changemakers of all ages.
CONTENT & STRUCTURE:
The WE GOT WORK TO DO Anti-Racism Mini Course consists of three lessons, each complete with videos, worksheets and fun activities for your group. You can structure the learning at your desired pace. Our recommended schedule is one lesson per week, 30 minutes per lesson, and use the 4th session for reflection and discussion.
WEEK 1 - LESSON 1: RISE
Anti-racist work happens at all ages. Celebrate how you shine - and how you are standing up for justice.
- Practice land acknowledgement
- Celebrate your skin color + learn the moves to “Shine”
- Listen to youth talk about how kids have the power to stand up to hate
WEEK 2 - LESSON 2: STAND UP
This work builds connection, understanding and empathy.
How are you showing up in the world?
- Practice getting someone else’s back
- Reflect on how you are showing up for justice + learn the moves to “Stand up for You”
- Listen to youth talk about what bias and oppression mean to them
WEEK 3 - LESSON 3: BE YOU, GET LOUD
There is a history and legacy of changemakers just like you.
Where do you fit into this? Be you. Get loud.
- Learn about youth activists fighting for migrant children
- Express your kind of “loud” in making beats
- Listen to our youth talk about the racism they experienced in school, and how they combatted it with music
WEEK 4 - REFLECTIONS
Being anti-racist is lifelong learning. Keep these lessons handy so you can come back and watch them again! Now you can keep taking action in your community as we work together to build the just world we all want to see.
We know you’re already juggling a lot. There is NO need to download any apps or learn any new programs to take this course! All you need is a computer with speakers, wifi access, pen/pencils and some room to move around.
READY TO TRY IT?
As a registered group facilitator, you will receive:
- Discounted program access for your group
- Immediate access to all content (14 videos, downloadable worksheets, music tracks, and bonus activities)
- A custom co-branded landing page with your logo and a welcome message
- A facilitator/teacher guide to optimize your group’s learning experience
- Discounted engagement opportunities with members of Alphabet Rockers (eg. virtual concert, live Q&A, songwriting workshop and more)
WE GOT WORK TO DO!
Join the Movement!
Sign-up with your email address to receive monthly news and updates from Alphabet Rockers!